Serving injured workers throughout Connecticut
Cousins, Desrosiers & Morizio, P.C.
Speak With An Attorney — No Money Upfront Please call 866-225-9496 today for a free consultation. Free Consultation

Getting a second opinion about your work injury

Police work comes with a lot of risks. An injury can happen at any time during your job, whether in an altercation or as part of the repetitive tasks you need to do as part of your job.

If you were injured on the job, you are entitled workers’ compensation. Workers’ comp can help cover your medical expenses and part of your lost wages. 

After an injury at work, your first instinct may be to go straight to your own doctor. However, if you are seeking workers’ compensation coverage, you will need to see the doctor selected by your employer first. If you refuse treatment from the doctor your employer selected, you could end up having to pay for your own medical treatment. This can lead to concerns and issues:

  • Is the doctor on your side or looking out for the bottom line of the insurance company?
  • Are you getting the full treatment and recovery time you need?
  • Do you need to get a second opinion from a doctor you choose?

Changing doctors in a workers’ comp case

Even though you must see your employer’s selected doctor at the start of your case, you can seek permission later to switch to your own doctor or a different doctor. This can allow you to get a second opinion and make sure your injuries are fully treated before returning to work.

If you do switch doctors, your employer or the Workers’ Compensation Commissioner may request that you receive an independent medical examination (IME).  You can have your own doctor present during the exam, but you will need to pay for your physician’s attendance.

To ensure that you receive the full compensation you are entitled to under the law, an attorney can help. A lawyer with experience handling workers’ compensation issues can help you through this process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified | Workers' Compensation Specialist | Connecticut Bar Association
  • Super Lawyers | Lawrence Morizio
  • Super Lawyers | Albert E. Desrosiers
  • Avvo rating Guidance the Right Lawyer
  • Connecticut Bar Association
  • GBBA
Email Us For a Response

Free Consultation With A Specialist Board Certified Specialist will contact you directly

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Cousins, Desrosiers & Morizio, P.C.
2563 Main Street
Stratford, CT 06615

Toll Free: 866-225-9496
Toll Free: 866-225-9496
Fax: 203-386-9714
Stratford Law Office Map

Toll Free: 866-225-9496 | Fax: 203-386-9714